Saturday, November 14, 2009

Time to plant?

With the weather warming, like many of us, I am DYING to start some seeds. I have an unheated greenhouse, with a dirt floor, fiberglass roof, and fiberglass walls. There are single pane windows on every side, and the walls are covered in house wrap. When is it safe to start some seeds out there? Can I harden off my plants in there as well? If they are inside this dwelling, will they still get frosted/froze? I took them out of their insulated building today that has artificial light, to give them some sunlight and fresh air, but was afraid to leave them out all night, especially not weaning them off the warmth. I live in Zone 5 and have plants of every type, from orchids to jasmine, to cactus and succulents. I have thousands of seeds that I can direct sow, but some I prefer to start myself. When I can I use my new greenhouse!!

Time to plant?
NOW!!!!!!!


get a high/low thermometer and put it in there that way you will know what temperature it is running at night. (they cost about $10-15)





if possible look into getting a bench mat or seed sprouting mat that will extend the usefulness of your greenhouse several months.





Any how...arrange the seed that you do have in the order that they can be sowed.


the varieties that can take the cold: peas, spinach, lobelia, pansies, petunias, broccoli, cauliflower, etc





once you know what the night temp is in the greenhouse you will have a better idea of how much stuff you can get stared on.





there are a lot of seeds that need the heat to sprout but are just fine in an area with cooler temps once they are above ground.





if the greenhouse is running cold at night increase the thermal mass within the structure ( rock, bricks, jugs of water, cement etc) this will also help it from having wildly fluctuating temps.





a lot of plants can handle lows of about 43 without slowing them down.


caladiums like it at least 70


No comments:

Post a Comment